The PHExcel project ran from 1 October 2013 to 31 December 2015. Its aim was to support institutions providing professional higher education across Europe to improve their performance.
Aim & Objectives
The PHExcel project aims at proposing an enhancement process leading to the recognition of excellence in professional higher education.
The objectives of the PHExcel project are to:
- Survey quality tools that respond to the characteristics of professional higher education;
- Propose a concept of professional higher education excellence;
- Support institutions in achieving excellence through an excellence assessment methodology;
- Validate the proposed quality framework by conducting pilot tests in institutions;
- Build consensus around the concept of excellence through consultation with key stakeholders;
- Deploy professional higher education excellence with an implementation roadmap;
- Mainstream the concept of professional higher education excellence in Europe.
Activities & Outcomes
The outcomes of the PHExcel project are:
- A report on Quality Tools for Professional Higher Education Review and Improvement; the quality tools presented in this report are also available in our online database here;
- A Briefing Paper on Excellence;
- A Draft Quality Framework for Professional Higher Education Excellence as well as draft Principles and Guidelines for Assessing and Recognising Excellence; both of which were tested and adapted into the PHExcel Framework & Methodology;
- Four pilot assessments of excellence in higher education in Europe;
- A consultation of higher education institutions and stakeholders as to their understanding of excellence and the draft framework and methodology; the outcomes the consultation is presented in the Report on a Consultation on Excellence;
- A conference titled ‘Striving for Excellence in Higher Education: Bringing Education and the World of Work Together’;
- The PHExcel process for the promotion of excellence in higher education.
The PHExcel partnership consists of 7 partners from across Europe, namely:
- European Association of Institutions in Higher Education (EURASHE);
- Association Européenne des Conservatoires, Académies de Musique et Musikhochschulen (AEC);
- The European League of Institutes of the Arts (ELIA);
- The University of Nottingham;
- SPACE Network For Business Studies and Languages (SPACE);
- Knowledge Innovation Centre (KIC) Malta;
- Jagiellonian University (UJ).
It is supported by the European Federation of Nurse Educators (FINE).
The project is a successor to the initiative on Harmonising Approaches to Professional Higher Education in Europe (HAPHE). The initiative proposed a definition and set of defining characteristics for professional higher education which are being used as the starting point for the PHExcel framework. More information about HAPHE can be gained from its’ website here.
- An introduction presentation on the project;
- A presentation on the project, one and a half year after its start;
- A presentation on assuring quality in professional higher education from June 2015 and from July 2015;
- Quality Tools for Professional Higher Education Review and Improvement;
- Online database of quality tools;
- Briefing Paper on Excellence;
- Draft Quality Framework for Professional Higher Education Excellence;
- draft Principles and Guidelines for Assessing and Recognising Excellence;
- Report on a Consultation on Excellence;
- PHExcel Framework & Methodology.